Tuesday, August 15, 2006

he had me at first howl


Meet Pokey...also known as Bud, Bubba, Beaglelo, Bagel, Apache Cold Nose, Beagleito, Baked Potato, Count Pokeula, Wild Beagle Hickock, Poccoiolo Beagleini and occasionally Mother*!?*#$ when he gets in the trash. He is the love of my life. I never liked animals before him...now I can't resist them. I want to have twenty someday. What can I say, he melted my heart. This is a marker sketch I completed this afternoon when I should have been working on my thesis...oh well. The expression on Pokey's face is so true. He's really not that friendly...at least to other dogs, Edgar and ANYONE that gets in between him and his bowl of food. But, nonetheless, he had me at first howl.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed your sketches, but these last couple have been really outstanding. In this one I really love the way the line and the marker loosely and freely complement one another, rather than the marker rigidly conforming to the lines. Really nice!

seastartrue said...

He is so cute. I use to have a beagle. They hold a special place in my heart!

You did a good job!

Ladyariel

Irene said...

What a great picture. How could you not love this dog? Your drawings are an inspiration.

Unknown said...

Your affection comes across loud and clear in this piece- it's just marvelous :)

Michael Emerald said...

Very cute dog painting. Well done. I don't like the frame around his head. It looks like a frame that doesn't fit a painting. Too harsh and I don't understand it's meaning. The colors and the expression captured on the dog is great.

Jana Bouc said...

This just grabs my heart! What a sweetie pie he is and what a wonderful drawing. You make markers look like you're painting with watercolor. I love the free squigly lines and then the softly blended but still bold colors. You nailed it!

suzanne cabrera said...

Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I'm glad my love for Pokey came through in the illustration.

Michael: I agree with your comment about the frame. I had initially drawn it with a thin pen to help me crop in on the image. However, I went back with a thicker tip and I think this really took away from the finished piece. This is why I am always reluctant to add more details once I'm intially somewhat satisfied.

Clare said...

What can I say? He is adorable, you have done a beautiful sketch of you best friend. I know what it is like to be so in love with one's dog... i love my Lily more than a lot of people I meet, that is not to say she doesn't get called all those other names you mentioned, and more!