Monday, September 04, 2006

labor day?


Today's post is inspired by a recent entry on Anthony Zierhut's blog. If you haven't checked out his blog already, I strongly advise that you do so. He's super talented. Anyway, Anthony shared Wally Wood's cheat sheet for comic book panels that "always work." I haven't done much of this since I drew a little for my college newspaper as an undergrad, so I thought I would give it a stab today.
Oh, and let me explain the gray at the top of the panel. This is called "working with what you've got." I love my sketchbook...but because of its binding, it is nearly impossible to clearly scan the inside of the page. That's what happened here and I didn't have the patience to fool around with photoshop to much...thus the dots.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!

Jana Bouc said...

Oh dear, your life is soooo busy but I'm glad you can write and draw about it with such good humor. I really enjoyed all the pictures. Did you do them one at a time as things occurred or sit down and do them all at once at the end of the day? Thanks for the link to Anthony's blog. His stuff is great!

RachelRenae said...

I love your handwriting!

seastartrue said...

This is really cool. Good documenting on what you did on that day.

We went to a ball game and I tried to sketch the ball players. Didn't work so I sketched the backs of peoples heads.

I admire your people sketches. They are fluid and life-like. I freeze up and they look really wooden.

I like your lady in church trying to contain a child.

Kate

Anthony said...

Fantastic! Really nicely done. You used many of those tips from ol' Mr. Wood's "cheat sheet", too, I see. Thanks, also, for the link to my blog and the kind words.

suzanne cabrera said...

Thank you so much to all of you (France, Jana, Rachel Renae, Kate and Anthony) for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed this one.
Jana- I didn't start on this until the afternoon, so I drew several of the pictures at one time and then the rest of the evening I completed each part as it occured.