Wednesday, November 08, 2006

he's not playing

The adventures on Pokey's favorite hill never end. Can you guess what animal we saw today? Hint: He is really good at posing for a drawing.

More details to come...

LATER
Ok, ok....so maybe it wasn't such a hard guess...Teri got it right away. I guess there aren't too many animals with such a big hairless tail. So, tonight on my walk with Pokey we came upon this large opossum. He was stumbling around like he was about to die and then he just fell over. Well I thought for sure that he was dead...but after about 5 minutes of observation, I realized that he was just 'playing possum.'

After I took Pokey to the apartment, I went back to where the possum lay, this time armed with a sketchbook. Sadly, it seems the possum was in fact dying, as he would work his way up every 5 minutes or so, only to swagger a little and fall back down. As I drew the possum, I got to thinking about how little we value the lives of animals like this, that aren't pretty, compared to those that are. In some ways I feel very sorry for that possum...he can't help the way he looks.

8 comments:

Teri said...

I'm guessing opposum. Cute little quick sketch. I'll be waiting to see what it turns into.

Anonymous said...

aww..that brought a little tear to my eye. There was a baby possum in my neighborhood that used to raid my recycle bins nightly. He (she?) is all grown up now and likes to creep around in my backyard jungle and hang out near the light of my window when I'm working late at night. It's kind of strangly comforting.

X said...

Poor, poor possum. :(

Great sketching, though!

addon said...

it is very moving when we get a glimpse into the soul of an animal isn't it? all innocence ...

thanks for the story and the sketches.

adam

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little critter. I'm glad you honoured him by drawing him.

I love your drawings - the way you do those lines and cross-hatches to get the tones is really neat. If I try that, they go all wobbly and wonky. You must have a steady hand and lots of patience.

clearart said...

Cawaii。
You live the environment where nature remains.
It is wonderful to be able to meet the possum (wild animals).
Cawaii is cute and lovely in the japanese language.
kuriyama

Jana Bouc said...

How sad that must have been to see him struggling. I'm glad you were able to draw him though. We had baby possums living in a big container of dog food in our garage years ago. Scared the heck out of my son when he went to sccop the dog food and there were all these little eyes glowing in the dark look up at him.

danielle said...

i do have to say how terribly sad it made me when i read that the possum was in fact dying. and the thought of watching it, i dont know how you did it, but you did get a fun sketch out of it, which i guess can be considered the last good thing the possum did for anyone or anything:)....still sad he had to die.