Wednesday, November 07, 2007

goldilocks and the designer chairs

Knoll and Herman Miller, the well-known furniture manufacturers/distributors, have graciously lent the Interior Architecture department several pieces of iconic modern furniture this week (in connection with this exhibit) as a way for students to become more familiar with the classics. I've loved it as I simply can't get enough of drooling over these beautiful forms and I, along with the students, have had the opportunity to try out chairs we might otherwise just experience through the internet or magazines.

Yesterday my drawing class spent some time sitting in the chairs and then drawing them. It was a real "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" experience to watch. "This chair is too small!" "This chair is too big!" And, let me tell you, the Eames Lounge is "just right!" At least for me...

13 comments:

traphic signs said...

MAN! I wish that had happened when WE were there!!! And we are completely in agreement: the Eames Lounge is 'just right.' I think once I get the rest of my debt paid off, thats what I'll buy instead of a house :)

-kelley

sandy said...

Wow, these are great, I love your rendering of these.

Fantastic.

sandy

Juan Pablo Yakubiuk said...

geniales, Suzzane.
Me encanta como haz mezclado gráfito y tinta en la Eames.

Anonymous said...

Wow -- these are so cool! I love when you post drawings where I can see your starting marks... I am such a dork, but I enlarge them and study them and come back to them -- trying to figure out how you do what you do (so very, very well!) and then apply it to my own sketching. I think you should write a book on sketching/drawing. Seriously, I do. You are so very talented, and I just love the "effortless" quality of what you produce. I am sure it is far from effortless, but your drawings always look so natural and free. Just love them all.

José Louro said...

Great work. And I know how hard is to draw chairs. At least for me.
See you soon.

juj said...

Oh! Lucky girl!! I have always wanted to curl up in one of those Eames. Your sketches are fantastic (I can almost see the drool *grin*) Thanks for sharing.

littlemithi said...

Mmmmmmm.... furniture .....

by the way love the new banner :)

Anonymous said...

Not only do i love these chairs (especially the well known Eames), but your rendering is excellent!
Oh, and i bought a couple of Copic markers today.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Oh my gos, I ADORE these chairs. Everyone of them. The drawings are totally AMAZING too. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

So COOL! I agree ... I like seeing your marks as you were figuring out where lines should lie. Love It!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the chair drawings - your style is wonderful, they look so effortless.

An Eames chair. It's on the list, right behind an Airstream Bambi. Maybe it should be IN the Airstream... now that's livin'.

Bambi-really.

Liz Steel said...

How wonderful to be able to draw all those cool chairs!

lizza kim said...

Highly vigorous blog, I liked that much.plastic chairs