Thursday, November 01, 2007

what doesn't kill you

Can you believe it's November? I can't!
This morning, while searching for an image of a turkey (yep, I said it), I ran across a drawing I did my first year as an Interior Architecture student. At the time we were working on a restaurant design and our deadline was the day after from Thanksgiving Break. Yuck. As the drawing illustrates, there was little time for celebration that year.


I'm posting this for two reasons: 1) It conjures up funny memories...though I assure you the situation wasn't funny at the time :) and 2) I've been talking to several of my first year students this week who are overwhelmed with the amount of work they have to do. I really sympathize with them because I've been there...heck, I'm still there. BUT....the thing that I keep telling them is that while the workload may not lessen, the more you stick at it, the easier the process will become. Overtime you develop a toolkit of skills that allows you to get through each project with a little more ease than the one before it. The trick is simply to be patient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very, very wise words to those students! It's hard to help kids understand that the transition between "kid" and "adult" means a ton more work -- probably more than they have ever had to do before. I think it's great that you are there to show them such a positive example. And even an oldy moldy like me is taking your words to heart... practice really does make everything go faster/easier. How right you are!