Monday, February 04, 2008

lead pencil in lead pencil and sharpie


My drawing class checked out the Lead Pencil Studio Exhibit at the Weatherspoon Art Museum a few days ago. I'm inspired by the ways in which the Studio has blurred the lines between architecture and art. Definitely makes me think...


Speaking of inspiration, wish me luck. Tomorrow night I begin a project I'm SO excited about. With the help of several UNCG students, I will be directing a design course for teenage mothers through the YWCA of Greensboro. The first thing we will be talking about is the power of illustrated journaling. I find my sketchbook to be one of my best allies and hope these young women will too.

7 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

Thanks for these sketches of the exhibit - I had a look at the link, and the work seems really interesting.
I think your project sounds amazing - such lucky girls - they're going to learn so much - and you will probably learn a lot from them too. Congratulations on having an excellent idea and following through with it.

littlemithi said...

Wow! what a wonderful project to get involved in ... I'm sure you'll be an inspiration to them :) Good luck!

Karen Sandstrom said...

Suzanne- what a very excellent project. I'm excited for you! It's so great to pass along the power of journaling. I know they'll be completely blown over by your teaching.

Anonymous said...

Your sketches are wonderful! And your project sounds so interesting. Please share your experiences with the class with all of us who love illustrated journaling.
Shirley
http://www.paperandthreads.com

Anonymous said...

Your project will really touch these young girls. I hope it goes very, very well (I'm quite sure it will)!

You are inspiring me to do some illustrated journaling. I wish I lived near you; I'd take one of your classes.

Lindsay said...

Hope all went well. I think sketchbooks can cure the world of all its ills....well maybe not ALL ills. But its certainly powerful. Keep us posted.

The drawings here and the above post knock my socks off. BEAUTIFUL trusses.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

beautiful sketches and a great new project. i'm sure you don't need any luck. you are an inspiration.