Thursday, February 14, 2008

warmth in a basket


I remember L.O.V.I.N.G going to school on Valentine's Day when I was little. Despite the work leading up to the occasion (signing your name on 30 little valentines isn't exactly easy when you're just learning to spell), the hand cramping was totally worth it when it came time to eat sugar-coated cupcakes and tear into the special construction paper folders that held valentines from classmates.

In fact, I remember loving it so much so that the year I was in 4th grade I came down with chicken pox the week of Valentine's and convinced my mom to let me go to school for the party! Can you believe that? I bet other parents were thrilled to hear this...

Well this Valentine's I went to school with the flu (am I setting a good example or what?) and totally felt like a kid again. My students surprised me with this beautiful basket full of handmade valentines which raised my spirits tremendously. Really, does it get any better? I think not.

I am one lucky teacher.

10 comments:

Karen Sandstrom said...

It does NOT get better than a bunch of handmade, Valentine's. Nope! And by the way, I loved that in school, too. One of my favorite parts was constructing a box for receiving the Valentines - did you do that? We usually started with a shoebox, then decorated it. One year my mom helped me turn it into a train, with paper wheels and cotton "steam." Too cool. (By the time my own kids got into elementary school, they were using cereal boxes instead, and they were much less cool, institutionally.)

Anonymous said...

Those are so lovely! Seems like most kids give the store-bought types these days.

We exchanged Valentines with our homeschool literary co-op yesterday and I had the kids make their own Valentines. I made some with them too...just for fun! I should have taken photos. They were cute (but not as refined as the ones you got).

Wendee said...

Oh wow - Valentines made by students studying design? How fantastic! I can imagine them, beaming. Handmade goodies are always such a boost - the more frugally made the better, it seems.
Hope you're feeling better, too!

Unknown said...

Hi Suzanne, I've just given you the 'You Make My Day' award. Please teake a look at my blog: http://frekhand.blogspot.com for full details.

Liz Brown said...

We want you to know how much you are appreciated and admired.

We love Y.O.U. !!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day, this is such a great blog..just to share that on just exactly this day i expressed my love to my special girl who is so far away as the Indian ocean. She is so far away that i will grab my pillow each day just to imagine i was hugging her.. I missed her greatly and hope that our heart beat as one.

no way said...

Hooray for teaching! I'm assuming you teach older kids, as do I (high school and adults.) It does not get any better than that. It is the age range to teach, if I do say so myself, and you have proof!

Anita Davies said...

What a wonderful bunch of gifts you have and no doubt a full heart because of them.

Joan Y said...

Awesome! Goes to show how your students feel about you! Makes me feel really hopeful for this generation of young adults. You must be an incredible teacher for your students to have done such a beautiful thing!

littlemithi said...

Wow ... that is SOOOOO sweet of them - you must be an incredibly popular teacher! Such a sweet childhood memory - we never had such things (being in Malaysia and all) ... but valentines crafting is WAY the way to go ;)