Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the change we seek

On Monday, Martin Luther King Day, my colleague, Patrick, and I had the opportunity to present the work of our 2nd year studio, Community by Design, at the Art and Design for Social Justice Symposium at Florida State University. It was a wonderful experience, not only sharing what our students were able to accomplish with their bus shelter project, but also learning about all the exciting and meaningful activities happening at other campuses around the U.S.

As could be expected, many references were made throughout the day to the work of Dr. King. As a result, my sketchbook is now overflowing with quotes from this incredible leader. A few of my favorites: "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." And last, but not least, "What are you doing for others?"

MLK photo by Francis Miller/Getty

7 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

Great quotes! And how did you sketch this one?

suzanne cabrera said...

Hi Allie----

Thanks for the question! I've been trying some experimenting here lately. I finished the drawing of the ladies at the conference right as a presentation was ending, therefore I wasn't able to capture what was in the screen. Once I was home and could scan the drawing into the computer I added the MLK image and bits of color here and there. I don't love it...but learned some in the process.

Girly-Girl said...

I really like the quote "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I'm going to make it my February mantra.

Anonymous said...

The quotes made me sniffly.

mARTa said...

Interesting technique. I love when I see new approaches to art.

Anonymous said...

I love what you've done with this -the shading is fab! It reminds me of something but I can't think what. All your work is great - having a lovely half hour browsing through everything! I probably should be working, but this is more interesting and hey, my boss is never gonna find this... :-)

gallery said...

Impressionism and various schools of modern art and enduring can be said to be Europe's most important oil and expression of the core.

oil paintingchinese galleryhandmade paintingLandscape oil painting