Friday, March 13, 2009

the creepy guy next to me

Last week, along with my students, I attended Design Matters, this year's Design, Art and Technology Symposium, at High Point University. It was terrific event with speakers and panelists representing many facets of the arts from fashion to photography to business.

The only thing a little odd about the conference was the creepy guy that insisted on sitting next to me. I moved around, but everywhere I went he followed. Inspired by the work of Sheila (From Forensic to Fine Art) I drew the stranger out of the corner of my eye just in case I needed to identify him in a police line-up sometime in the future.

He looked kinda like this:
the creepy guy next to me

I think he has distinctive enough features (3 eyes, teeth that sit perpendicular to his face), that he should be pretty easy to remember...

Ha. Actually this creepy guy is a Stupid Creature. His creator, John Murphy, was one of the panelists in a discussion on creativity and entrepreneurship. It was great hearing about John's process and how his hobby turned into an incredible business. Inspiration comes in so, so many forms.

9 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

My kids would so adore that creepy blue thing.

Unknown said...

Bwahahahaha!!!! I have to get your name listed as an on call composite artist for your local PD! I'm sure they'll call when they have a suspect with protruding teeth and blue skin that needs to be sketched. HUGS!!

(you're a great story teller too)

pve design said...

Oh how funny, this was brilliant how we were led to believe that this creep was some sort of a pervert but alas, not at all, the creepy guy looks rather harmless and adorable.
Love your work.
pve

Anonymous said...

*snort* You are such a riot, Suzanne! Strung me along pretty well. ;)

Genine said...

so funny!!!!great sketch too.

Karen Blados said...

okay, so now i need to figure out how to crochet these little monsters. i like them better than the pink elephant i'm currently working on.

er ... don't ask.

Very cool (and inspirational) drawing.

aimee said...

hi, suzanne - i've been a lurker here for a little while and i had to jump in on this one because it made me laugh heartily! what a cute creepy little guy. thank you for the laugh! your blog and work are beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

hi! what do you usually use for colouring in a quick sketch ? thanks for sharing.

suzanne cabrera said...

Hi Cal---

Thanks for the question. I colored this sketch in photoshop, using the paint bucket tool.