Wednesday, March 04, 2009

lunch in a bento box is more fun

lunch in a bento box is more fun

Having lost...ahem, misplaced...my big sketchbook, I've been doing a lot of drawing in the little sketchbook I carry in my purse. I don't enjoy the process of drawing nearly as much in small notebooks as they make me feel very uptight...which leads to uptight drawings like this one.

Not that uptight drawings are all bad, in fact I kinda like this one. But, drawing is my method of relaxing, so it is important to be able to be loose as well.

Color and texture! added in Photoshop.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hai! I agree! Love the sketch. I'll have a dragon roll please.

Erin said...

you're so talented! i love seeing your sketches, you capture the very essence of your subjects, just thot i had to say that =)

Meili said...

Mmm... sushi! I really like this sketch.

dominique eichi said...

Your sketches are so wonderful.

Andrea said...

Are there lessons one can take for being loose in drawing? I think I need said lessons. That said, I really enjoy this sushi snap!

Anonymous said...

A lovely sketch. And I wonder how it's done. Do you first look for a 'long' time and then sketch everything? Or do you look-and-draw per section/line? What's the proces here?

suzanne cabrera said...

Hi Skar---

Thanks for the question. It's really a combination of things that add up to a drawing like this. Mostly, however, I try to focus on looking at the subject 90% of the time and my paper 10%. This is why the blind contours I mention in another post are so important. It's about training one's hand/eye coordination.