Saturday, October 06, 2007

a tribute to a good bag

AKA: "it's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday...ooooh"I've spent today in an organizing frenzy. And despite stirring up lots of dust (and my allergies) I feel elated. I think Lynne might even be proud of the progress I've made with my closets :)

One chore that comes along with organizing is throwing away. Most of the time I actually enjoy this part of the process...but today I've had to say goodbye to an old friend...

I've been carrying this bag for about three, no make that four, years now. I got it on a trip to London with my friend Sarah Margaret at a little boutique called Octopus. Not only have I loved the purse, but I cherish the memories it holds of our spontaneously fabulous trip... Unfortunately, like many things that have been loved much, the purse is beginning to fall apart and is no longer in working condition. For this reason, I am taking the time to memorialize it in my sketchbook today.

Goodbye fun bag...you will be missed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Letting go of stuff is really hard for me when it has some kind of sentimental attachment (like your London purse). But I think that creating a lasting tribute in your sketchbook is the perfect farewell!

GOOD YOU! :-)

Joan Y said...

:) Cleaning out your closet must be cathartic as it is freeing! I am all about memorializing sentimental things ... I found, as you did, it makes it easier to let go. Way to go gurl! J

Anonymous said...

neal street, eh, good place to get stuff

Anita Davies said...

Lovely sketch...I feel for ya' :(

Karen Sandstrom said...

Lovely. An excellent tribute. May you find another cool bag soon.

sandy said...

Nice....

Yes and letting go IS hard. I'm not good at that..
sandy

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

It's gorgeous! I never even knew you'd been to London. When did you go?

Alyssa Thomas said...

Awww, sad. Well the good thing is that now you need a replacement, so you get to go bag shopping!

Jana Bouc said...

Congratulations on your organizing and your nice memorial to your bag. I did something similar with a pair of old sweats a while back. It makes the parting sweet sorrow rather than just sorrow. And then you have the nice organized closet.

suzanne cabrera said...

Andrea- I went back in March of 2005...and LOVED it. Can't wait to go back on vacation (or to live)...which ever works its way out first :)

Kathleen Rietz said...

But like the story of the Velveteen Rabbit...it was "loved". I can see why!