Friday, September 01, 2006

bugs in my lunch bag


I've never been particularly interested in bugs. But it seems they are beginning to take over my blog. First it was the "attack of the flesh eating ants," then "the ant bully" and today, "two bugs I found in the rain." I was out walking Pokey last night and could not resist picking up these guys. Not only are they big, but also iridescent. I knew right away I wanted to paint them, but didn't have an opportunity last night, so I packed them in a plastic baggy and took them to school today in my lunch bag! During lunch I drew the bugs (this sounds really gross, doesn't it?) and afterwards I painted them. I was very nervous about the shadows, but I'm happy with the way they turned out.

11 comments:

Rachel Murphree said...

Suzanne -- these are wonderful...I love the transparent wings, the shadows are super. great job!

suzanne cabrera said...

Rachel- Thanks so much for your words of encouragement!

heather lorin said...

Wow Suzanne - those are fantastic! And your handwriting is beautiful.

Lin said...

FABULOUS!! Great color, rich details!!! BRAVA!

Anonymous said...

You amaze me! These are beautiful! The shadows work very well! Teach me your wonderful ways!

Shelly McC said...

Wow!! Greatr work, these are stunnning!

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous *with a half-concealed tone of jealousy* :-)

dex mission said...

I use to have spiders and praying mantis hunts when I was small. I kept them inside jars or matchboxes for a day so I can observe them until I would have to let them go the very next day. Most of the time, I would prop the jars by the window and draw them. I wish I still have those drawings. I've forgotten what they looked like.

I love your drawings, especially the beetle. It has a nice, rich irredescent feel to it. I get a sense of scarabs and Egyptian mythology.

Anonymous said...

Your bugs are so much bigger and more colorful than what we have in California!

Felicity Grace said...

I love these guys! I don't think it's gross at all, some of the colours they have are incredibly beautiful. I like the shadow, it's a nice effect!

Rush said...

I agree with everyone about the wings, but I feel the best nuance is how pleasant he seems. As though he's gazing at you rather than the other way around.