Monday, January 22, 2007

thesis challenge: take 1


For the first iteration of my self-proclaimed "thesis challenge," I decided to try generating patterns in a manner similar to that of the pen|pod grouping. This was fun, but I don't think it was nearly as successful. The end results are rather static, despite the fact I tried to examine one sheet of text from many different angles, and all crumpled up. I think this works much better with something organic...like a okra pod.

Here's a closer look at the final 6.

6 comments:

heather lorin said...

Now I'm really curious about this thesis of yours - what are you doing?

heather lorin said...

btw, I finally finished my set after almost a week (kept getting interrupted) - can't believe how fast you finished this second one!

suzanne cabrera said...

Heather- To make a REALLY long story short (around 100 pages to be exact), I am exploring how interior designers can create better spaces for new immigrants. My research centered around Mexican, Montagnard and Sudanese immigrants living in Greensboro. I completed nine case studies, visiting homes and interviewing the homeowners about their likes, dislikes, etc. It was all rather facinating to me...especially the different attitudes each group had regarding space.

heather lorin said...

Sounds like a great project - are you getting a masters degree out of this?

suzanne cabrera said...

Heather- Yes, I'll officially receive my M.S. this spring, though I will be finished with all my requirements early next month. Whoohoo!

Marilyn said...

These are wonderful