Friday, March 16, 2007

venice part 3: taking time to remember

So many people we spoke with leading up to our trip to Venice suggested that a week was too long to spend on the island and that we should try to travel elsewhere. While this may be true for others, I found a week to be the perfect amount of time for me as we were able not only see a lot of places in Venice, but digest them as well. It was wonderful(and relaxing)being able to sit and observe and not feeling rushed to move on and "see more."

These are some images from our first full day. We visited Saint Mark's Square this day as well...but, the pigeons kept me from sketching. It was like being in Hitchcock's "The Birds"...a little frightening to say the least.

Charis and Addie at lunch planning our next stop

One of many cathedrals. I tried to cover too much in this image and therefore it is unclear what anything is. Looking back, I also realize I should have made more significant changes in value.


Quick sketches from the waterbus as the sun began to set on our day.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Lovely! And, while I've never been there, I would think a week was barely time enough!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

These are great. You inspire me to go out and sketch - when I pluck up the courage! They are all great but I love the guy on the boat.

Anonymous said...

Well i love the broad strokes on the cathedral actually.
Oh and i am digging the new banner on the blog -- great handwriting, as usual.

Charis said...

SO WONDERFUL... I want ALL of them on your site.
I finally got pics up:
http://www.chalkballerina.blogs.com
HURRAY!!!!!

Alicja Fenigsen said...

It just feels like we are there with You