Sunday, April 08, 2007

a sleepy little wren


I've spent the past few days soaking in some quality time with my family. This includes time with my nephew, Harper, and niece, Wren. On Friday, while my sister was running errands, I stayed in the car with Wren who was fast asleep. I took advantage of the situation to sketch a three-year-old that is almost never still.

I'm always hesitant to draw children...add too many lines and they end up looking like old little martians...so this was stepping out of my comfort zone.

7 comments:

Linda said...

This is great! Children are difficult to draw -- it is easy to accidentally make them look like they are older than they really are, but you got this one spot on. I like your choices for where and how you did the hatching -- again, great piece!

Johnnie Scoutten said...

Precious. Young children are hard to do.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This is BEAUTIFUL. I know exactly what you mean; drawing children is quite dodgy. I find a lot of drawing of kids can look mawkish or, as you say, if you add too many lines they can just look weird. This drawing is neither of those things. It's just gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous drawing suzanne. i try to draw my kids and always end up frustrated ... when you know someone well, you notice every little detail that's off. you did such a wonderful job ... bet her mom wanted a copy.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

What a lovely drawing. Isn't she sweet the picture of sweetness and innocence?

What you said about adding too many lines made me remember the one and only self portraitI did. Not only didn't it look like me, I had so many lines that I looked like a very old, old lady. Hence... why I've never shown anyone this sketch.

Anthony said...

Wonderful, wonderful sketch! I love all the open space -- and that buckle on the carseat, I know it well...

Felicity Grace said...

Gosh, I don't know how I missed this drawing, it's absolutely gorgeous! Love how little detail you have but that each line is just right!