Monday, May 21, 2007

the fine decor of tissue and textbooks

So I haven't been drawing very much the last few days, but I have been crafting. I got pretty excited about the paper pom poms I saw popping up on several blogs I visit and decided to try my hand at it. I love the results and want to put them EVERYWHERE. But, I'm running out of spaces so perhaps you should make some instead.


The yellow one looks a little messed up in this photo as it fell on my head while I was sleeping the night before. This experience led to a dream in which I taught Domingo, Edgar's father, how to make pom poms. Can we say I'm a little obsessive? I wish I would have been like Jana and illustrated this dream.

Oh, and I came up with a solution for my abundance of books/ lack of furniture problem...turn books into furniture. I think it works?!?, though I do need to lower the photos hanging above a bit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! i think that is a fantastic solution for your books! i might have to steal it. i'll definitely have to steal the pompoms ... my daughter would think they are wonderful and that'll give me an excuse to make them.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous idea! I'd probably get all obsessive and have to stack to the books, spines out, by color...

Anonymous said...

Awesome! And hey -- don't be too quick to lower those photos -- if you're anthing like mee, you'll be adding a second tier to that fabulous shelf and then the books will be at the perfect height! :-)

Very fun!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Oooh it's so exciting to see bits of your home!! loving the pom poms. My friend also uses books as furniture. It's a bit of a bugger if you find that you really need one of the books at the bottom of the pile though!

suzanne cabrera said...

Karen -Thanks for cracking up:)

Julie - I tried it first with the book spines out, but it got to be a little busy for my taste. Luckily, these aren't books I need to reference too often, so I'm crossing my fingers I can get away with not having easy access to their titles.

Lynne - You know, you're right....perhaps I should leave them like this for a bit.

Thanks Andrea - I know what you mean, I love to see snapshots from homes...your drawings do this for me.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the idea of books as shelves... but what if you want to flip through your favorite Vonnegut??? Gotta take it all apart. Darn.
Wait, oh, OK. No revisiting of literature then. :-)))

Jana Bouc said...

That's so funny about the dream...and using books as furniture. Great idea (unless you want to read one of those books!)

Alison said...

Very tantalising that we can't read the titles.We'll just have to imagine what they are and why you want to keep them secret :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne!

I love the decor -- and I'm totally going to have to try and make the pom poms! They'll be great for party decorations and general summer festivities.

I hope all is well with you and that you're having a great weekend!
Laurie :)

Anonymous said...

Those pom poms are awesome. I have a lot of tissue paper lying around, so maybe I'll make some to decorate my dorm room next year. Your bookshelf solution is great, too.sh