Thursday, April 24, 2008

half full


In my last post I wrote that life had gotten the best of me. This isn't an entirely accurate statement, however, as it probably reads as though "life getting the best of me" is a negative thing. In fact, it is a great thing. While I haven't been able to blog or, for that matter, even draw...I've been getting the creative charge that provides the fuel I need in weeks to come.

School has been fantastic. I'm especially enjoying teaching Perception and Communication where I'm trying a few "untraditional" teaching methods. A few weeks ago my class went to a Mexican restaurant to "Eat and Draw". As far as I know, no sketches were ruined due to accidents with salsa. Currently my class is working on a facinating project at Elsewhere Artist Collaborative. There is absolutely no way that I can attempt to describe Elsewhere (please check out their website) or this experience with words...so count on drawings doing the work for me in the next couple days.

Several of my students and I are also still helping with the Advocacy Through Design class with teenage mothers at the YWCA. This has been such an incredible experience for all of us. Definitely something I hope to do more of in the future.

Finally, over the weekend my friend Megan got married. Yes...I wore the dress...but it turned out fine in the end (despite having no cosmetic surgery) and I was able to enjoy a great time with my friends. This is super important.

This is all to say the "life" that is getting the best of me is, well, a good life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you didn't have to resort to cosmetic surgery and that the wedding/dress went fine! ;)

You are involved with such wonderful projects, both creatively and in the spirit of love and generosity. It is, indeed, a good life!

The Eat and Draw idea is cool; I may have to borrow that one.

Anonymous said...

Great news. Off to check out some of the links. Looks like the moleskine exchange has been keeping you busy, too.

littlemithi said...

I'm sure I've said this before, but, I really wish you were teaching in my college ... I would have been such a teacher's pet ...

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

LOVE the drawing. What I need in my life is a big bowl filled with cubes with letters on. Do you know where I could get one?

Great link too. That's one seriously cool site.

Oh, and yes. Can't we have some photos of the dress. C'mon. I feel we were all part of the decision to not have surgery.

Genine said...

this is so cool!!! the links are great too. thanks for sharing!