Tuesday, May 20, 2008

you draw, you learn


I sketched this street scene a little over a year ago when Edgar and I were in Charlotte. While he was in a meeting, I sketched out a tall office building window. I haven't posted it before now, however, as I don't think it reads very clearly. I definitely should have used another technique to indicate the pavement. Oh well...you draw, you learn.

I did, however, want to show a better image of the gridded paper I got several comments about yesterday. This paper is part of a lovely journal by Jill Bliss. I really admire Jill's work and love drawing in this sketchbook because it almost feels like I'm collaborating with her on an illustration assignment. To be so lucky.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I checked out Jill's website after reading about it in the book Craft, Inc. (I think I did anyway...egads, what wouldn't I give for a good memory). She has lovely stuff that makes one's heart sing with joy. That cover is inspiring me to sketch some wildflowers.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "reads clearly". Maybe it's just because I'm so wowed by the neat aerial perspective. I have a thing for that kind of, what would you call it? 3/4 aerial perspective?

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

GREAT. So glad to have you back too.

rebecca said...

Oh yes! I love Jill's journals - I read an interview with her in the last issue of giant Robot magazine - she is so inspirational :)

miguel taborda said...

the beauty of the blogs is this strenght that give us to share and to be exposed to the critics.
well done

Lorie McCown said...

I love this sketch, and I love the grid paper, it really goes with the feel of the street.

Kevin said...

I think its brilliant. I think that the road looks fine infact it is one of the first things I noticed and I thought it looked good