Tuesday, December 02, 2008

little people, big space

There is nothing better to me than drawing "on location"...especially when "on location" includes a mozzarella and tomato panini :) However, I always find it a struggle integrating people into the spaces I draw. It's strange because I feel comfortable drawing people....and I feel comfortable drawing spaces....just not the two together. I think it all boils down to not knowing how detailed the "scale figures" should be. For instance, I ADORE the figures José Louro puts in his spaces but when I try something similar in my own drawings they come out much less successful.  In essence, they don't "agree" with the rest of my lines. This is something I want to continue to work on.

Any words of wisdom? Do you share a similar drawing "struggle"? If so, tell me about it. Perhaps we can help one another.

8 comments:

that's just it said...

i struggle with 'causally' sketching people all together. i am never sure of how much detail to include, and always end up adding to much. then they just stand out in the sketch.

another reason i dont sketch people...

proportions proportions proportions!

Unknown said...

I too struggle with people and soace. right now I have been sketching in pen for so long that when I tried pencil recently on a subject if felt so foreign. Also I am tring to get some color in my images and struggling the same. But i think you have it when you say to keep trying. We need to keep pushing ourselves. If not it all becomes the same I think.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I struggle with a whole lot more than putting people and space together. No critique or advice from me; I come only as a fan. ;)

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

'On location' is my worse nightmare. I'm just so impressed by these location drawings of yours.

Nice link too.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Wow...the people look to scale...but only on their own. When you compare them to the furniture in the back ground, they appear to be little people or toddlers. I dont think that is what you had in mind.

Try comparing their heads or chairs to the size of the furniture in the background near the same level or distance. Go from there. Keep and eye on the subjects more than on the paper is another idea. Think of the people as shapes and not people. Objects, not people. Keep banging it into your head and then it will come.

Practice makes perfect!

Anonymous said...

I am no great artist, and especially not at quick sketches of people... but I would probably start with the people, and then draw the space around them.

Karen Sandstrom said...

I think your people look good here. I struggle mightily, but that's because (I feel like such a dork here) I haven't figured out what to do with the problem of people MOVING while I'm trying to sketch them. I know that means that I need to be much sketchier, faster, more impressionisic yet more precise intentional about the lines I do put down. But I dunno - it's all vexing.

Anonymous said...

WOW. i have just found your blog; and i'm very impressed; your drawings are amazing, from my own know-nothing eye. You inspire me to try much harder from now on when i have to do sketching on my course, thats for sure.