Monday, July 09, 2007

my trip to the zoo


I've been wanting to go to the zoo for a long time now...yesterday, I finally got my wish.

While my drawings may not suggest it (let's be real, this isn't my finest work) it is my new favorite place to draw. Despite the fact it was unBEARably hot, I was so inspired by the variety of animals that I can't wait to go back. Yesterday we were in a hurry to check out everything, but another day I plan to go and sit and sit and draw and draw. Oh...this is something I WILL do.


I couldn't resist drawing the backside of this baboon...his sillouhette reminded me so much of the poor possum I drew a while back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been hotter than Haites here, too... I can't even imagine how the animals in the zoo must feel when it gets like this! Love your little sketches... so cute!

Karen Sandstrom said...

Oh, great. I finally identify someone else on the planet who likes to go to the zoo to draw, and she's in another STATE. :-) I haven't gone myself in a while here because I usually try to drag the girls with me and they are less enthusiastic than they used to be. But it IS fun, and I hope you get there often. I think it's difficult to sketch unpredictable animals, but rewarding.

Jana Bouc said...

I love the grooming picture and how they're sort of blended together as a couple. It's cooled off her quite a bit and is foggy. I had to wear a jacket when I went for a walk today.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Well, looks like you are "back" at it. "Back" some time ago I noticed you enjoyed drawing people... now,
... "back" to the subject...
great work. Love that you are at the zoo .. what a great place to draw.

Anonymous said...

Oh Suzanne, have you ever heard of the radio show "Radio Lab"? I think it's one of the best things on NPR, and i've been listening to all their podcasts over the past few weeks. They made a whole show around zoos -- it's really interesting. Anyway, i had to smile when i saw these sketches because as a result of "Radio Lab", i've been wanting to go to the Bronx zoo. :-)
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/